Rancho Bernardo Orthodontist 4S Ranch
Orthodontics is one of many dental specialties. The word “orthodontics” is derived from the Greek words orthos, meaning proper or straight, and odons meaning teeth. Orthodontics is specifically concerned with diagnosing and treating tooth misalignment and jaw area irregularities. Initially, orthodontic treatments were geared toward treating teens and pre-teens, but these days around 30 percent of orthodontic patients are adults.
There are many advantages to well-aligned teeth, including easier cleaning, better oral hygiene, clearer speech, and a more pleasant smile. Though orthodontic treatment can be effective at any age, the American Dental Association suggests that an orthodontic assessment should be performed around the age of seven. The earlier orthodontic treatment begins, the more quickly the problem can be successfully resolved.
What problems can be treated with orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a versatile branch of dentistry that can be used alone, or in combination with maxillofacial or cosmetic dentistry.
Here are some of the common conditions treated with orthodontics:
- Anteroposterior deviations – The discrepancy between a pair of closed jaws is known as an anteroposterior discrepancy or deviation. An example of such a discrepancy would be an overbite (where the upper teeth are further forward than the lower teeth), or an underbite (where the lower teeth are further forward then the upper teeth).
- Overcrowding – Overcrowding is a common orthodontic problem. It occurs when there is an insufficient space for the normal growth and development of adult teeth.
- Aesthetic problems – A beautiful straight smile may be marred by a single misaligned tooth. This tooth can be realigned with ease and accuracy by the orthodontist. Alternatively, orthodontists can also work to reshape and restructure the lips, jaw or the face.
Orthodontics is a technologically advanced field that offers many sophisticated solutions to malocclusions and other cosmetic problems. The orthodontist will generally perform a visual examination, panoramic X-rays, and study models (bite impressions) in order to assess the exact nature of the discrepancy.
When a diagnosis has been made, there are a variety of orthodontic treatment options available.
Here is an overview of some of the most common treatments:
- Fixed orthodontic braces – A metal or ceramic dental base is affixed to each tooth, and a dental wire is inserted through each base. The orthodontist is able to gradually train the teeth into proper alignment by regularly adjusting the wire. When the desired results are achieved, the fixed dental braces are completely removed.
- Removable appliances – There are a wide range of removable appliances commonly used in orthodontics, including headgear that correct overbites, Hawley retainers that improve the position of the teeth even as the jawbone reforms, and facemasks which are used to correct an underbite.
- Invisalign® – This is a newer, removable type of dental aligner that is completely transparent. Invisalign® does not interfere with eating because of its removable nature, and mechanically works in the same way as the traditional metal dental braces. Not all patients are candidates for Invisalign®.
If you have any questions or concerns about orthodontics, please contact our office.
Excellent Rancho Bernardo dentist. I've been seeing him for about five years and couldn't be happier. I drive out of my way to see him and he's always worth the trip. I've never had a painful experience in his office and I suffer from extreme dental phobia. My family see him as well. I recommend him to everyone. You won't be disappointed.he best to me. Highly recommended!
The first time I went here I was a little nervous seeing a new dentist. But from the second I walked in the staff put me at ease. They were very nice and knowledgeable. Even more than that Dr. Reza was the best dentist I have been to. He was gentle when checking over my teeth and made me feel a lot more comfortable. The appointment was also prompt, which I always like. Overall my cleaning was the best experience I've had at any dentist.My entire family has been coming to Dr. Hekmat for over 15 years. He is the best dentist hands down! He is gentle and understanding of my phobia of dentists. He and his staff work well together. It is easy to get an appointment for what ever dental issue arises.
Dr. Hekmat and all of his staff are gentle and friendly. They take the fear out of going to the dentist. He has done quality work on my teeth for the last three years and fixed problems I had from previous, poor quality dental work too! I am more than willing to drive 40 miles from where I live because I've never had such a great dental experience anywhere else! !