Periodontal Disease Maintenance | Dentist in Rancho Bernardo & 4S Ranch
It only takes twenty-four hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into calculus (tartar)! Daily home cleaning helps control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard-to-reach areas will always need special attention.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, your dentist and dental hygienist will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), usually four times a year. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure they are healthy. Plaque and calculus that is difficult for you to remove on a daily basis will be removed from above and below the gum line.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed. (Electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, etc.)
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Good oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential in maintaining dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control!
If you have questions or concerns about Periodontal Disease Maintenance, please call our office in Rancho Bernardo & 4S Ranch (858) 485-5925.
Excellent Rancho Bernardo dentist. I've been seeing him for about five years and couldn't be happier. I drive out of my way to see him and he's always worth the trip. I've never had a painful experience in his office and I suffer from extreme dental phobia. My family see him as well. I recommend him to everyone. You won't be disappointed.he best to me. Highly recommended!
The first time I went here I was a little nervous seeing a new dentist. But from the second I walked in the staff put me at ease. They were very nice and knowledgeable. Even more than that Dr. Reza was the best dentist I have been to. He was gentle when checking over my teeth and made me feel a lot more comfortable. The appointment was also prompt, which I always like. Overall my cleaning was the best experience I've had at any dentist.My entire family has been coming to Dr. Hekmat for over 15 years. He is the best dentist hands down! He is gentle and understanding of my phobia of dentists. He and his staff work well together. It is easy to get an appointment for what ever dental issue arises.
Dr. Hekmat and all of his staff are gentle and friendly. They take the fear out of going to the dentist. He has done quality work on my teeth for the last three years and fixed problems I had from previous, poor quality dental work too! I am more than willing to drive 40 miles from where I live because I've never had such a great dental experience anywhere else! !