A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
If you have questions or concerns about the dental exam, please contact our office in Rancho Bernardo & 4S Ranch.
Excellent Rancho Bernardo dentist. I’ve been seeing him for about five years and couldn’t be happier. I drive out of my way to see him and he’s always worth the trip. I’ve never had a painful experience in his office and I suffer from extreme dental phobia. My family see him as well. I recommend him to everyone. You won’t be disappointed.he best to me. Highly recommended!
The first time I went here I was a little nervous seeing a new dentist. But from the second I walked in the staff put me at ease. They were very nice and knowledgeable. Even more than that Dr. Reza was the best dentist I have been to. He was gentle when checking over my teeth and made me feel a lot more comfortable. The appointment was also prompt, which I always like. Overall my cleaning was the best experience I’ve had at any dentist.My entire family has been coming to Dr. Hekmat for over 15 years. He is the best dentist hands down! He is gentle and understanding of my phobia of dentists. He and his staff work well together. It is easy to get an appointment for what ever dental issue arises.
Dr. Hekmat and all of his staff are gentle and friendly. They take the fear out of going to the dentist. He has done quality work on my teeth for the last three years and fixed problems I had from previous, poor quality dental work too! I am more than willing to drive 40 miles from where I live because I’ve never had such a great dental experience anywhere else! !